Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Mountain Surfing with the DJI FPV Drone

 


I packed my my DJI FPV drone up into the mountains for its second flight ever this past week. It poured down snow for most of the trip, so I was worried I wouldn't get a chance to fly, but fortune favored me and I was granted a 15 minute break in the weather to cruise through the snowy alpine forest and try my hand at mountain surfing right at the edge of a wall of falling snow.

Now, as some may point out, this isn't a traditional long range mountain surfing video which typically begin with an ascent from the foot of a mountain and end with the descent in one long cinematic experience. Since the DJI FPV drone is limited to 500 meters above its takeoff point, this isn't really possible for this drone. For me this hasn't become a serious limitation yet, as I'm still getting used to flying FPV at all, and I don't feel comfortable taking it far away from me or trying really daring high speed stunts. For this video I aimed to get the feel of mountain surfing more than the full lengthy experience of long distance mountain surfing.

Next up I'm going to try flying in thick forest, so stay tuned for that!