Sunday, January 5, 2020

Cathedral Rock - A Sunset Adventure at Crescent Moon Ranch


Cathedral Rock towers over the quiet sycamore groves of Oak Creek and the cactus haunted slickrock moors of Sedona. The last pale rays of a winter day paint the red rock towers a glowing amber as the evening wind blows chill through the fragrant forests of juniper trees.



My journey to Crescent Moon Ranch at the foot of Cathedral Rock was one of pure happenstance. The confusing roundabouts of Sedona spun me about and sent me on a twisting path through the town, past an anti-trump rally, and into the parking lot of a hotel to regain my bearings. Of the many locations I had hoped to film in Sedona, I chose from here almost at random to photograph the sun setting on the towers of Cathedral Rock.

One of the odd and confusing aspects of hiking in Sedona is the fee system, the like of which I've not encountered elsewhere in my travels. You have the "Red Rock Pass" which is basically the "Northwest Forest Pass" and functions like a region specific "America the Beautiful Pass". On top of this you have state parks with their own fee system, but what makes things really confusing is the fact that several locations run by Coconino National Forest have their own separate $10 per vehicle fee that is not covered by the Red Rock Pass or the America the Beautiful Pass. It's just something to be aware of ahead of time so that you can figure out what passes and fees you will need for whichever locations you plan to visit.

Once I was in, I wasn't quite sure where to go - the park is located next to private property, and was obviously once part of the adjoining ranch. The forests contain some very beautiful sycamore trees, and the open fields of the park provide excellent views of the peaks above.






I hunted about the winding forest paths, trying to find that classic cathedral rock sunset reflection, but always vegetation got in my way, or the stream was to rough. Perhaps I was simply in the wrong place, or the water was too high to permit the ideal conditions for that particular photo from occurring. Still, the water of Oak Creek was clear and beautiful in the waning light of late afternoon.






I determined that I would need to climb higher for my sunset photo, but where and how? I had heard of the Secret Slickrock trail, and decided upon that as my goal. However, the park signage was somewhat confusing as to how to access it from the park. Eventually I found an unmarked trail leading off into the brush at what seemed approximately the correct location. However, I doubt whether it was official, as at one point I had to climb a small cliff and wander through a grove of cacti , but eventually I found a definite trail, well worn and marked by stone cairns. 

Later, on my return, I would find that an unsigned trailhead existing just outside the park gates.





The views grew as I ascended through the desert scrubland, past prickly pear and juniper trees to the weathered sandstone hilltop of Secret Slickrock, a magnificient place indeed to watch the sunset! Luck was with me, and the recent storms had filled the hollows of the rock with reflecting pools, and the perfect foreground for my photos.





Not wanting to be locked in after the park closed, I was forced to retreat earlier than I might have liked, but I was still able to capture the last golden light of a December day as it painted the red rocks of Sedona in amber hues.