Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Storms over Silver Lake





When the power went out on Monday I decided to take the opportunity to get outside and do some photography. The weather didn't make this easy - as I was capturing timelapses the wind was blowing so ferociously that I had to stand constant guard to make sure it didn't fly off into the seething waters of the lake!

 

A long exposure made by combining 15 photos taken with a shutter speed
of 1/5 of a second in rapid succession for a exposure equivalent to 3 seconds.
Eventually the rain arrived in earnest, and I was forced to abandon my planned to visit the boardwalk at Seaquest. Not having captured enough footage for a whole video, I decided to let my camera ride shotgun on a tripod, allowing me to pull to the side of the road to take timelapses of rain patterns without getting me and my camera gear soaking wet.

Another storm seems to be kicking up outside, I wonder how long it will be before the power goes out again and I must once again rush out into the furious gales in search of more dramatic photos.