Saturday, May 28, 2016

Capture Pro review

A conundrum faces all photographers: you can carry your camera safely in a backpack, but then you will struggle to remove it every time you need to take a photo. Alternatively, you can carry it like dead weight from your neck – more accessible, but often uncomfortable. The Capture Pro camera clip offers an ideal compromise. By securing your camera to the strap of your backpack or belt, it can be carried comfortably and securely while remaining easily accessible.

Operation of the Capture Pro is fairly simple, and after the initial setup becomes easier every time you do it. I have several different packs that I use for different outdoor activities, and I can swap this device between them fairly regularly. Once caveat is that the Capture Pro doesn’t seem to play well with really thick straps, which may be a problem for some packs.

The build quality is excellent; most of the design is made of metal, and this lends the Capture Pro a reassuring heft while not being overly weighty. I fuss terribly over the safety of my camera, but even I feel like I can trust the Capture Pro with its well-being. One problem I did find is that the quick release plate tends to scratch the metal slot of the Capture Pro itself. It doesn’t impact the performance of the device, but it is a bit irritating to see it get scratched.

The quick release plate is interesting, and once you spend some time familiarizing yourself with its operation, you will find that it’s really something of a work of genius. The plate allows you to insert your camera into the Capture Pro from any one of 4 sides so that you can carry it however you like. You can even insert your camera upside-down so that you can easily change lenses with both hands free.










In use, the Capture Pro quickly becomes second nature to utilize. Whipping the camera in and out of the clip is a welcome respite from always having to dig it out of a bag. I was impressed with how rigid the camera was when attached, and how little it moved about as I walked and ran with it. With other camera carrying systems I’ve used, the swinging of the camera was annoying at best and made me fear for its safety. Not so with the Capture Pro; no matter what lens I used it stayed secure with minimal swinging and jostling. Interestingly I found that the larger the lens I had attached, the more comfortable and secure it became. The smooth design of the device keeps it from rubbing against you or poking into your side, though it did take a while to get used to the weight of it on some of the straps I used.

Conclusion:
The Capture Pro is a wonderful solution for photographers looking for an alternative to awkward bags and uncomfortable straps.

Optional Accessories:

There are a number of accessories available for the capture pro, including the Shell – a protective cover for your camera meant to protect it from the elements and allow shooting in inclement weather. Stay tuned for a review!

Find the Capture Pro on Peak Design's website: https://www.peakdesign.com/capturepro